Dieting is dead. The issue of calories and weight loss is much more complicated than most people believe. While calories can be a factor, what is much more critical is WHAT you eat and WHEN you eat. Today I want to discuss the WHEN.
One of the three principles of eating to be fit and lean without being hungry is to eat frequently. Sometimes people find this startling. Aren’t we supposed to go hungry to lose weight? No! We recommend six meals a day and this is why:
- Your body is remarkable piece of machinery and like any machine it needs a constant flow of fuel to run at top performance.
- Eating often will stabilize blood sugars resulting in more energy, fewer mood swings, less depression, anxiety and food cravings.
- Food has a thermogenic effect. Eating is a metabolic activity. The actual act of chewing, swallowing and digesting builds metabolism.
- When we eat before we are hungry we make better choices and are less likely to overeat.
- You need food to grow and maintain the muscle you are developing. If your body thinks it might have to go without food the first thing it will do is stop new muscle growth.
And here is how you do it:
- Eat every 2 ½ to 3 hours. This is about how long it takes for your body to break down the food you ate and begin using it for fuel
- These are six even meals, not snacks and please don’t eat between meals
- Eat your first meal within thirty minutes of waking up in the morning
- When you first start this lifestyle you may feel like you are eating too much. In fact, you may get tired of eating so much. If you are used to dieting or thinking that you must be hungry to lose weight you may feel alarmed. Trust the system. This works! (If you would like to see real results from real people using this system see ?? ??? link to Challenge pages)
- You may overeat sometimes. Do not worry about it and do not skip your next scheduled meal. After you get the WHAT and WHEN of eating down you will cease to overeat
- Eating this often will take more planning. Always know today what you are going to eat tomorrow
- Cook in large amounts and freeze leftovers
- When you are at work or in the car keep a small cooler with you filled with healthy food
- Keep a list of foods and meals you love and keep adding to the list
Make it fun and do not worry if you do not do it perfectly at first. Eating to be lean, strong and healthy is a journey.
FitMania offers 30 minute food consultations without charge to both clients and non-clients. We also have a food coaching program for those who feel like they need more accountability. For more info: ???